SUPERBOWL TRIVIA –with thanks to the Denver Post. They were kind enough to post the answers, but I am going to let you mull around the questions and I’ll be back with the answers. Enjoy this day (and indulge a little) that is as much a part of our American culture as 4th of July and Thanksgiving.
Super Bowl XLVII — that’s Super Bowl No. 47 for those of us not up to speed on Roman numerals — is nearly upon us. The overblown pre-game analysis, the commercials and the multiple talking heads are still to come. Finally, at 4:30 p.m. Mountain time Sunday, The Game kicks off.
Whether The Game lives up to the hype really doesn’t matter. The Super Bowl, as an event, has become a national holiday.
So, how well do you know your Super Bowl stuff? To find out, take this pop quiz I cooked up. (Answers are found below.)
1. At Tuesday’s media day, the 49ers’ Randy Moss made this absurd claim: “I really think I’m the greatest receiver to ever play this game.”
It wasn’t the first time a mouth roared before The Game. Prior to Super Bowl XIII, this Dallas Cowboys linebacker questioned whether Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw had the smarts to read Dallas’ defense.
“He couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the ‘c’ and ‘a’,” the flamboyant linebacker said. Name him.
2. Name the four franchises that have not played in a Super Bowl.
3. Name the four franchises that have lost four Super Bowls.
4. Name the linebacker who famously said, “Pain is only temporary, no matter how long it lasts.”
5. Who holds the Super Bowl record for most rushing yards in a game? (Hint, think of former Broncos safety Tony Lilly.)
6. Four players won both the Heisman Trophy and also were named MVP of a Super Bowl. Name them.
7. Which city has hosted the most Super Bowls?
8. What quarterback holds the highest passer rating for a single Super Bowl game?
9. The Super Bowl was decided in the final play of the game only one time. Name the player who scored the winning points.
10.Who clinched a victory for the Dallas Cowboys over the Broncos in Super Bowl XII by tossing a 29 yard touchdown pass to Golden Richards with 7:04 left in the game?
#3 – Buffalo Bills – Denver Broncos – Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots (That’s the only one I know without cheating)
Congratulations to The Baltimore Ravens – That was quite a game!
UNBELIEVABLE GAME, CAROL! That’s how football should be played!